terça-feira, 22 de julho de 2008

How my life has changed

My life has changed in many ways, but there are some few logistical details that I'd like to share with you:

  • I eat with my hands (right hand!) every day;

  • I have had cold showers for 2 weeks;

  • I sleep with ear tampons and the fan on;

  • I am constantly being bitten by mosquitos, irrespective of prevention;

  • The washing machine (for clothes) works with cold water only;

  • My room (as I wanted a single one) was stolen out of the living-room space - having pre-fabricated plastic walls, the insonorization from house, front-door and street sounds is none; the front-door of the house doesn't open or close unless I have my room's door closed;

  • Although this house is much much better than the previous one, you'll find them anywhere, it's unavoidable... in the past two days I've had 1 lizzard and 2 cochroaches in my room and bathroom;

  • I've been being transported in motorbikes in India for the first time, sitting normally or with my legs to the side, holding hardly anything and carrying no helmet - but hey! that's how everyone does it! 4 times I've done it by now;

  • I carry my backpack with my laptop everyday to and from office. I like the ritual, but maybe this'll be changing soon as a new computer just arrived;

  • I usually don't walk alone in the streets after 7 pm, and most definitelly don't after 9 pm. Two girls together walking in the street at 11 pm proved to be challenging enough;

  • I have to bargain for prices practically everyday;

  • I got back to my old times: am eating mostly vegetarian;

  • I tried driving an indian car, with the wheel on the right, the gears on the left, and driving on the left side of the road - but, don't get scared!, it was just for a few yards in a quiet alley. Liked it though!;

  • I am working at my Mentor's house (only one other person works for the Foundation: the secretary, on the lower floor, Manjula is her name) and I am invited to have lunch with Mr. and Mrs. Ubhayaker every day;

  • I am given tea with milk (!!) and sugar every day at 11.30 am and 4.30 pm - now I like it;

  • I live with 7 other girls and I never know who's been in my house, and who'll be coming by as the Paying Guesthouse (PG) male managers are always running around for some reason, some fixing, something - summary: privacy: reduced;

  • I've been having what everyone told me I shouldn't: when you're in some place for a long time, and specially when you share habits, meals and rituals with locals... you can't avoid it, and of course your system adapts to it, which also makes your daily life much more mingled and easier. So, I'm having: filtered water (not only bottled), fresh vegetables, fruit with skin, yoghurt, and I'm brushing my teeth with tap water - only once did I feel sick, and after that everything is fine. Actually, I feel like my body likes the habits I have here, it has been happy :) ;

  • Going out here means starting at 8.30 pm (if you can, but you never...) and finishing dancing precisely at 11.30 pm - everything closes at this hour, there's no way!;

  • I work alone, bear-feet, in a peaceful environment and in almost total silence (picture: the entrance to the Ubhayaker's residence, my workplace - how amazing is that?);
  • It's Monsoon season, so everyday it rains cats and dogs for about one hour, and then it stops. Meaning: you should always be carrying an umbrella.

Um comentário:

Anônimo disse...

Minha querida Rá:
Fico feliz por saber-te bem e por poder ter notícias tuas com frequência, mesmo que isso signifique que tenha de desenferrujar o meu inglês.
Não podia deixar de te mandar um grande beijinho hoje, mesmo que seja necessário atravessar toda a Europa e mudar de continente para chegar até ti.
Que essa experiência te traga até nós, ainda mais rica e feliz.
Até já,

a tua afilhada.
Pifas